Lannon enrollment requires another grade 1 teacher
An additional classroom teacher to address projected grade 1 enrollment in the 2021-22 school year was approved for Lannon Elementary School. As of May 24, the school’s two grade 1 sections were at 27 with enrollment expected to increase.
Funding for the position will come from the district’s contingency fund, revenue from additional Open Enrollment students and additional funding due to resident enrollment increases.
Strategic priorities, tactical plans reviewed
Human Resources and Organizational Development Director John Roubik updated the School Board on the district’s strategic and tactical plan. The four priority areas of the plan are:
- systems of assessment for learning;
- social and emotional wellness;
- workforce and organizational wellness; and
- facility and technology long-range planning.
Open Enrollment applicants placed on 2021-22 waiting list
Non-resident families who applied to attend the Hamilton School District for the 2021-22 school year were placed on a waiting list. Wisconsin’s Open Enrollment program allows families to apply for enrollment in nonresident schools. Districts may deny applications if space is not available.
Hamilton’s action prioritized siblings of current Open Enrollment students if spaces open up. In January, the School Board chose not to open any additional seats due to increasing resident enrollments. Open Enrollment application closed on April 30, and 153 non-resident students applied for entry into the district. Those on the waiting list will be considered for placement later in the summer if space permits.
Board take personnel action
In personnel action, the School Board:
- approved the retirement request of Maple Avenue Elementary School Principal Kristin Koeper-Hamblin, effective June 30;
- accepted the resignations of Silver Spring Title I Paraprofessional Ann Flynn, Marcy Special Services Paraprofessional Shelby Hummel and Hamilton Special Services Paraprofessional Sophia Piotrowski, all effective June 10, and Lannon Literacy Interventionist Christina White, effective at the end of the 2020-21 school year;
- appointed Jacob Tenaglia and Juliet Champion as Woodside grade 1 teachers, Kelly Schroeder as District Office administrative assistant (effective June 1), Tracy Baumann as Hamilton High administrative assistant (effective June 1), Elizabeth Oprins as Woodside kindergarten teacher, Julie Italiano-Thomas as Woodside student-specific nurse (effective Sept. 1), Danielle Danz as Lannon kindergarten teacher, Nicole Piette as Maple Avenue grade 2 teacher, Taylor Dietz as Woodside grade 4 teacher, Kaitlyn Pilo as Woodside grade 3 teacher, Susan McMahon as Maple Avenue grade 1 teacher, Amanda Desmarais as Lannon elementary instructional coach, Brianna Leinon as Templeton grade 7 teacher, Shelby McDougal as Silver Spring school counselor, and Sally Schmeling as Templeton grade 8 teacher (all teaching positions effective Aug. 23).