A variety of circumstances may require district officials to close school, delay opening or call for an early dismissal. Families should prepare for the possibility of unexpected closings by keeping information in Infinite Campus up to date and having a plan they go over with children to ensure they have a safe place to be if school is called off.
Factors affecting decision about closing
The Hamilton School District considers multiple factors when determining whether to operate during inclement weather. Student safety is the utmost concern.
Road conditions, temperature and wind chill factors are considered. In decisions regarding cold temperatures, the district uses the threshold of approximately -35 degrees F established by the National Weather Service, a standard used by all Waukesha County school districts. In addition, input is sought from local departments of public works, Waukesha Sheriff’s Department, our bus company and the National Weather Service.
How families are notified
When schools close, the district will communicate to families and staff using Infinite Campus tools (automated phone calls, texts and emails), district website, district Facebook page, employee intranet and announcements to television and radio stations.
Following are details about the Infinite Campus automated notification system:
- Calls and texts likely will occur between 5:15 – 6:30 a.m. if school is cancelled or delayed.
- The system will call the numbers provided in Infinite Campus, including home, work and cell phone numbers.
- The technology is not able to dial extensions, advance through an automated attendant message system or call toll free numbers.
- If a call goes to voicemail or an answering machine, the system will leave a message.
- The system will not contact people designated as emergency contacts such as grandparents or neighbors.
- Information will be posted on the district website home page when the calling system has been activated.
In addition, television or radio stations will be informed about school delays or closings, including the following:
Students in daycare
The district tries to make a timely decision so that parents can plan appropriate arrangements for daycare. To ensure that children have a safe place to be, parents should go over the plan with their children in advance.
Availability of bus drivers
Because bus drivers are part-time employees, it takes about two hours notice to retrieve school buses to dismiss school early.
When school is open, all students are expected to attend. However, individual circumstances vary and parents make the ultimate decision for the welfare of their children.