Hamilton School District students, staff and families will observe Veterans Day with a variety of activities at school.
Willow Springs Learning Center, W220 N6660 Town Line Road, Menomonee Falls
Willow Springs 4K students, staff and families will honor veterans Nov. 11 with programs beginning at 10:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. that include a “wall of bricks” highlighting the names of veterans who are part of the Willow Springs family. A program including stories, songs and presentation of flags to veterans by their 4K child will mark the occasion. Students are invited to wear red, white and blue for the program.
Lannon Elementary School, 7145 N. Lannon Road, Lannon
Lannon Elementary School will host a Veterans Day “Stars and Stripes Parade” and “To Honor America” fourth grade choir performance Nov. 7 at 9:30 a.m. for students and the community. The event will feature patriotic songs and a parade through school recognizing veterans and those serving the Armed Forces.
Lannon will continue its more than 20-year tradition of creating a thank-you banner and writing thank you letters that will be delivered to the Veterans Administration Hospital in Milwaukee. Students will also write letters to future Wisconsin Honor Flight honorees as well as veterans and current military members in attendance.
Maple Avenue Elementary School, W240 N6059 Maple Avenue, Sussex
Maple Avenue Elementary School students and staff have several activities planned to honor veterans.
- All students and staff will wear red, white and blue for a program to honor veterans Nov. 12 at 9:30 a.m. in the gymnasium with students performing songs for honored guests and visitors.
- Maple Avenue Boy Scouts will conduct the Presentation of Colors.
- Hamilton High School Choir will perform.
- Armed Forces medley will be played and the veterans in the audience will stand to receive student applause.
- Coffee and treats will be served at a small reception following the program.
- A Veterans Day themed display created by students will be in the school lobby.
- A star honor wall featuring veterans who are relative of Maple Avenue students will be on display in the gym.
Marcy Elementary School, W180 N4851 Marcy Road, Menomonee Falls
Marcy Elementary School will host its annual Veterans Day program Nov. 7 beginning at 9:15 a.m.
- A slide show with pictures of veterans who are relatives of Marcy students will be shared with students as they enter the gymnasium.
- Fourth grade Boy Scouts will present the colors.
- A variety of students will explain how respect is shown to veterans.
- Kent Rice of the Stars and Stripes Honor Flight will talk with students about the program and share how much this program means to our veterans.
- A representative of the Wauwatosa Lions Club will present a check to the Marcy Honor Flight fund in honor of Richard Trawicki, father-in-law of Marcy Principal Michele Trawicki.
- Marcy students will raise money to send veterans on future Honor Flights and make posters that will be given to area veterans organizations.
Woodside Elementary School, W236 N7465 Woodside Road, Sussex
Woodside is planning its annual Veterans Day music celebration beginning at 9:30 a.m. on Nov. 11. The event includes:
- flag ceremony by Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts;
- singing of “The National Anthem”;
- honor wall featuring photographs of veterans who are relatives of Woodside students;
- singing of patriotic songs and thank you letters written by first grade students; and
- Armed Forces medley in which veterans in the audience come forward to receive thank you letters written by first grade students.
Silver Spring Intermediate School, N58 W22350 Silver Spring Drive, Sussex
Silver Spring Intermediate School students will participate in a Veterans Day Reflection Hike on Nov. 11. Students will hike to the War Memorial located near Hamilton High School athletic fields and pause at various stations to reflect and respond to written prompts about service, honor and courage. Students will be asked to share their reflections with family, especially family members who are veterans.
Templeton Middle School, N59 W22490 Silver Spring Drive, Sussex
Templeton Middle School will recognize the contributions of American veterans Nov. 7 beginning at 8:30 a.m. at its 19th Annual Veterans Day Program. The event includes:
- Veteran’s Address by Cory Geisler;
- ceremonial laying of the wreaths to honor soldiers who became prisoners of war or missing in action;
- military service recognition of individual guest veterans;
- student-led “Pledge of Allegiance”;
- performance of patriotic song by Eighth Grade Chorus and Eighth Grade Band; and
- reading of an essay by the winner of the Patriotic Essay Contest.
A video production featuring photos of military personnel and veterans who are related to Templeton students will be featured during the ceremony and played continuously in the school lobby.
Hamilton High School, W220 N6151 Town Line Road, Sussex
On Nov. 6, Hamilton High School Band members will perform at the Kohl’s Innovation Center alongside a military color guard, fire department flag raising and distinguished speaker. Wisconsin veterans from American Legion Halls, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Honor Flight participants, recruiting and reserve stations as well as local fire and law enforcement will gather for this morning of thankfulness. This event, held at Kohl’s corporate offices, will be streamed to locations across the country. The flag raising will be held at 9:30 a.m. followed by a celebration ceremony from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.
Athletic-Activities Director Michael Gosz will read a commemorative passage about the historical significance of Veterans Day which will honor the brave service men and women on Nov. 11. A moment of silence will be observed.
In addition, on Nov. 12, Hamilton High School Choir members will perform for honored guests and visitors at Maple Avenue Elementary School.