Resources Navigation

Home  →  News Releases  →  Hamilton students impress at DECA international conference

Hamilton students impress at DECA international conference

Thirty-two Hamilton High School students competed April 27- 30 at the DECA International Career Development Conference (ICDC) in Anaheim, California. The event is the culmination of the DECA year and involves more than 23,000 high school students, teacher-advisors, business professionals and DECA alumni from across the country.

Hamilton students receiving recognition at the international level:

• Teammates Adit Bhootra and Rohit Washikar, Entrepreneurship Innovation Plan, each awarded two medals and a trophy, earned third place
  • Teammates Alex Yan and Raj Ramanathan, Entrepreneurship Team event, each awarded two medals, named top 10 finalist
  • Rohan Nuthi, Retail Merchandising, awarded three medals, named top 10 finalist
  • Jishnu Jayesh, Principles of Business Management and Administration, named top 20 finalist

The ICDC is part of DECA’s competitive events program, which allows students to compete for regional, state and international titles. The competitions are designed to simulate real-life business scenarios to test students’ academic understanding and skills development.

Senior Adit Bhootra says he enjoyed connecting with students from other states, “I loved everything about the experience! My partner and I also got to further our interests in biology and engineering,” explains Bhootra. “We created an idea for a product and presented it to a judge. The energy and competitiveness pushed us to do our best and it all paid off hearing our names get called up for third place.”

Junior Raj Ramanathan calls ICDC an experience to remember. “I am so thankful for the chance to compete at the highest level of DECA. This year my partner and I were able to compete in the Entrepreneurship Team Decision Making category. We explored our passion for business as a whole. Being a finalist is great, but more than the medals, I will remember the memories and relationships created among friends. DECA has helped me grow, and ICDC has shown me the bright future ahead.”

“This experience has taught me so much about what it means to work hard and will continue to motivate me,” explains Junior Rohan Nuthi. “Overall, this was one of the most fun and interesting weeks of my life, and I’m already looking forward to competing next year,” he adds.

DECA prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs for careers in marketing, finance, hospitality and management.