Resources Navigation

Home  →  News Releases  →  Hamilton graduate builds legacy shed to support high school softball program

Hamilton graduate builds legacy shed to support high school softball program

The Hamilton High School softball team has a newly constructed equipment shed next to their fields thanks to the vision and woodworking skills of a recent graduate. Sydney Vande Hei, 2023 Hamilton High School graduate and former right-fielder, chose the project to earn her Girl Scout Gold Award.

“I decided to build this shed because I wanted to give back to the softball team, which was a huge part of my time at Hamilton. I thought this would be a cool way to turn what I learned in my high school architectural design and woodworking classes into something that can be used for future softball teams at HHS,” said Vande Hei. “My favorite part of this Girl Scout Gold Award project is working alongside my softball teammates.”

Construction on the 12 by 10 foot shed began in early June. Vande Hei, her former teammates, coaches and Hamilton High School Applied Engineering and Technology Teacher Alan Mamerow volunteered their time throughout the summer to complete the project in early August.

“I wouldn’t have had the skills to do this type of project without the classes I took at Hamilton. I need to thank Mr. Mamerow for helping me with this project and the many hours he dedicated,” added Vande Hei. “It is really neat to be able to make something that will last for a long time.”

The Girl Scout Gold Award is earned by Senior and Ambassador Girl Scouts who complete projects to help fix a problem in their community or make a lasting change in their world. The project needs to meet certain requirements including sustainability and community impact. Vande Hei was required to complete a minimum of 80 hours of work on the project.