While community members can see the physical construction progress of the new Silver Spring Intermediate School, less obvious but just as important is the work being done to create a new learning environment for students in grades 5 and 6.
Following are key tasks for opening a new school that have been completed or are underway:
- School mascot – Panther was chosen to represent the school in a districtwide online parent survey, and a graphic image was created.
- Principal – The position has been posted with interviews expected in January and the principal announced by March. Feedback from a November parent survey will be used to create a candidate profile, formulate interview questions and select the new principal.
- Staffing – An initial staffing plan was created after teaching staff certified to teach grades 5 and 6 were able to express their interest in teaching at the new school. Affected teachers were notified of staffing decisions. Support staff – including paraprofessionals, custodians and office assistants – have been asked their interest in working at the new school, and those who will transfer will be announced in the spring.
- Student offerings – Work on curriculum, grading and extracurricular activities are underway and will be presented for School Board approval in January.
- School day – Start and end times, bell and lunch schedules and important school dates will be finalized and announced in March.
- A parent information meeting is scheduled for June 5 when parents will learn more details about how the school will operate, staffing and opportunities and services available to students.