Woodside Elementary School students will be involved in numerous musical activities including many that feature Arts in Community Education (ACE) professional musicians during November and December. ACE is a component of the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra’s (MSO) education program. The Woodside musical events include:
- Nov. 4, 1:15-1:45 p.m., Woodside Large Group Area: Kindergarten students will attend an ACE presentation by Francesco Lecce-Chong, MSO assistant conductor, who will teach students the basics of conducting.
- Nov. 5, 10-10:40, Woodside Large Group Area: First grade students will attend an ACE presentation by the Milwaukee Jazz Experience, which consists of a singer, bassist and guitarist. They involve students in acting out an African folk tale to music.
- Nov. 7, 9-9:30 a.m. and 7-7:30 p.m., Woodside Gym: First grade students perform a concert for Veteran’s Day. Veterans in the audience will be asked to stand so students may applaud for them. Students from all grade levels will display “honor certificates” on the gym wall to honor veterans from their families.
- Nov. 19, 1:15-2 p.m., Woodside Multipurpose Room: Second grade students will attend an ACE presentation by DanceCircus, a contemporary dance company, that involves students in choreographing a new dance.
- Nov. 21, 10:30-11:15 a.m., Woodside Multipurpose Room: Third grade students will attend an ACE presentation by the MSO Piano Quartet with Theatre Gigante. Four musicians from the MSO and a dancer will perform European Baroque music and dance.
- Nov. 22, 1:15-1:45 p.m., Woodside Large Group Area: Kindergarten students will attend an ACE presentation by the MSO String Family. Musicians from the MSO will demonstrate the violin, viola, cello and bass.
- Nov. 25, 10-10:45 a.m., Woodside Large Group Area: Fourth grade students will attend an ACE presentation by Stas Venglevski, who plays the Russian bayan button accordion.
- Dec. 5, 1:15-1:45 p.m., Woodside Large Group Area: Kindergarten students will attend an ACE presentation by Present Music, an instrumental ensemble that specializes in music by living composers.
- Dec. 10, 9-9:40 a.m. and 7-7:40 p.m., Woodside Gym: Third grade students perform a musical play about the story of “The Nutcracker,” featuring melodies by Tchaikovsky.
Woodside is one of approximately 20 schools in the Milwaukee metropolitan area participating in ACE, which is nationally recognized as an exemplary model for arts education. ACE at Woodside is funded by Woodside’s Home and School organization and by Woodside parents. Woodside is located at W236 N7465 Woodside Road, Sussex.