Students in fifth through eighth grades competed Jan. 25 in the annual District Spelling Bee at Templeton Middle School. The “district” is a geographical area defined by CESA #1, which sponsors district and regional bees. Four Hamilton School District elementary schools, Templeton Middle School, Peace Lutheran Academy and Saint Agnes School constituted a district for the purpose of the spelling bee. Students who won classroom spelling bees vied for the honor of participating in the district event.
The champion speller was Dhruv Ahuja, a seventh-grader from Templeton Middle School. Finalists who will also advance to the regional bee are: Lillian Miller, Templeton grade 8; Nicolas Vera Paez, Templeton grade 7; Keegan Wichman, Templeton grade 6; Claire Tracy, Marcy grade 5; and Kettrick Treichel, Woodside grade 5. In honor of their spelling achievement, the top six spellers received trophies.
Regional winners continue to the Wisconsin Spelling Bee, in hopes of qualifying for the Scripps Howard National Spelling Bee, held in Washington, D.C.
Students who competed in the District Spelling Bee were:
- Templeton – Keegan Wichman, Timothy O’Quinn, John Walker, Nicolas Vera Paez, Lillian Miller, Dhruv Ahuja, Gabriel Baldewicz, Ellie DeCleene, Lilly Browning;
- Marcy – Claire Tracy, Jenavieve Mendoza, Carly Elkin, Kaedyn Epshteyn;
- Maple – Lauren Spencer, Dylan Patch, Matthew Maher;
- Woodside – Victoria Tromp, Isabella Gruber, Kettrick Treichel, Sujaya Drover;
- Lannon – Chloe Paar, Mira Vonachen;
- Peace Lutheran – Hannah Hardenbrook, Bryce Damato, Cole Peterson, Margit Rhode; and
- St. Agnes School – Olivia Nadolski, Dominic De La Cerda, Ayden Laskowski.
The event was coordinated by Templeton teachers Tim Cunningham and Ashley Pfeifer.
Spelling Bee finalists (from left): Kettrick Treichel, Woodside; Nico Vera Paez, Templeton; Champion Dhruv Ahuja, Templeton; Keegan Wichman, Templeton; Claire Tracy, Marcy; and Lilly Miller, Templeton