Families and staff in the Hamilton School District have shown true compassion recently as they rallied around two events to provide relief and comfort for those in need. Schools participated in the countywide “Feed the Dream” food drive in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. to provide much needed items for the local food pantry. The devastating earthquake in Haiti also stirred individuals who contributed money and time to help victims.
Sussex Food Pantry donations:
The Sussex Food Pantry was the recipient of more than 3,725 food items and dozens of outdoor winter wear items as part of the “Feed the Dream” drive.
• High school students and staff members, who conducted their campaign in memory of teacher Ric Ballin who passed away suddenly during the summer, collected an amazing 2,593 food items. They also raised $957.07 for the food pantry.
• The families of Willow Springs 4-year-old kindergartners and staff members collected 582 personal care items and paper products for the food pantry during their January food drive.
• Marcy Elementary School conducted its food drive early, and raised 257 food items.
• Lannon Elementary School collected 225 food items and $60.
• Maple Avenue Elementary School fifth-graders sponsored a schoolwide Full and Fuzzy Drive. They collected nonperishable food items and new or gently used outdoor winterwear for children and adults such as coats, hats, scarves, gloves, boots and snowpants.
• Templeton Middle School collected 71 items to donate to the food pantry
Several agencies received donations and support to help victims of the Haiti earthquake. Students, staff and families generated than $1,600 to Haitian relief efforts.
• Hamilton High School raised $1,195 to benefit the Kids Against Hunger/Feeding Children International organization. A number of students also assisted the nonprofit group in packaging food that will go to Haiti.
• Templeton French teachers collected approximately $400 that was sent to the American Red Cross.
• Lannon students raised $ which will go to UNICEF to bring health, nutrition and water-and-sanitation supplies to Haiti.