Five Hamilton High School students will earn Gold or Silver Key Awards Jan. 31in the 77th Annual Scholastic Art Awards Competition. Students who earned awards were:
- Kristin Loberg, senior, a Gold Key for stained glass ;
- Melanie Napholz, senior, a Gold Key for stained glass;
- Anna Bradford, junior, a Silver Key for painting;
- Kyle Emrich, senior, a Silver Key for stained glass; and
- Hannah Johnson, junior, a Silver Key for drawing.
The works of these Hamilton students are among 125 Gold Key and 247 Silver Key awardwinning pieces on display until Feb. 28 at the Milwaukee Art Museum. Students from 117 Wisconsin schools submitted 1,695 entries into the competition which is juried by 23 artists, educators and other art professionals.
The Scholastic Art Award program is the regional section of the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards National program conducted by the Alliance for Young Artists and Writers. The Gold Key-winning artwork of Loberg and Napholz will advance to the National Scholastic Art Awards competition, with the national awards ceremony to be held at Carnegie Hall in New York City.
The Milwaukee Art Museum, Suzanne and Richard Pieper Family Foundation and Avis and Jim Heller sponsor the state competition and exhibit. For information about Milwaukee Art Museum hours, admission and location, please call (414) 224-3220.