Hamilton High School Drama Society was nominated for 15 Jerry Awards for the production of “Mary Poppins – The Broadway Musical.” Jerry Awards are the high school equivalent of Broadway’s Tony Awards.
Hamilton students will be among southern and central Wisconsin’s top high school musical theater performers who will gather June 9 at Overture Hall in Madison for the awards show. This is the second year Hamilton has been involved in the program which encourages, recognizes and honors excellence in high school musical theater.
To qualify, three professional reviewers attended Hamilton’s musical and provided a formal critique. Based on that critique, Hamilton was nominated for:
- Outstanding orchestra;
- Outstanding lead performance: Hayden Hotchkiss – Bert, Joseph Davila – Mr. George Banks, Laura Steiner – Mary Poppins and Margaret Flynn – Mrs. Banks.
- Outstanding supporting performance: Taryn Lassiter – Miss Andrew, Anna Kurhajec – Jane Banks, Grace Butscher – Michael Banks, Sarah Harder – Mrs. Brill, Lauren Schlaman – Bird Woman, Nicholas Mitchell – Robertson Ay and Logan Wroblewski – Neleus.
- Outstanding musical direction: Jim Gornick;
- Outstanding choreography: Sarah Plamann;
- Outstanding costume design: Darcy Devans; and
- Spirit Award: Charles Bruch.
Sarah Plamann, Maple Avenue music teacher, is the Hamilton Drama Society advisor and musical director.