Students in fifth through eighth grades competed Jan. 20 in the annual District Spelling Bee at Templeton Middle School. The “district” is a geographical area defined by CESA #1, which sponsors district and regional bees. Four Hamilton School District elementary schools, Templeton Middle School and Peace Lutheran Academy in Sussex constituted a district for the purpose of the spelling bee. Students who won classroom spelling bees vied for the honor of participating in the district event.
The champion speller was R.J. Frerking, an eighth-grader from Peace Lutheran Academy. Finalists who will also advance to the regional bee were: Maayna Kashyap, Templeton grade 7; Shiva Senthil, Templeton grade 7; Josephine Jauquet, Templeton grade 8; and James Strasburg, Woodside grade 5. In honor of their spelling achievement, the top five spellers received trophies.
Regional winners continue to the Wisconsin Spelling Bee, in hopes of qualifying for the Scripps Howard National Spelling Bee, held in
Students who competed in the District Spelling Bee were:
- Templeton – Tarynn Lassiter, Amanda Tremmel, Jacob Hubred, Elijah Wartgow, Cullen Etzel, Carter Stone, Anna Kurhajec, Tate Hutchinson, Evan Gunderson, Shiva Senthil, Maanya Kashyap, Benjamin Wurst, Josephine Jauquet, Juliette Mattair, and Elise Rades;
- Marcy – Nicolas Vera Paez, Ashton Lee, India Lock, and Akash Deepak;
- Lannon – Lillian Miller and Devin Klemstein; and
- Maple – Kayleigh Kopidlansky, Alicia Holzem, and Brynn Islo;
- Woodside – Conner Simchick, James Strasburg, Nicholas Mitchell, and Nicholas Pfersch;
- Peace Lutheran – Hannah Hardenbrook, R.J.Frerking, Bryce Damato, and Anders Rhode.
The event was sponsored by the Templeton Home and School and coordinated by Templeton current and former teachers Lisa Schmeling and Barb Furrer.