Sports co-op programs approved
School Board members approved Hamilton High School’s continued participation in two cooperative sports through 2014. Hamilton, Menomonee Falls and Germantown high schools will continue to offer a cooperative boys swim and dive team. Hamilton is among seven teams that renewed involvement in a co-ed hockey team. The other high schools involved are Germantown, Hartford Union, Menomonee Falls, Slinger and West Bend East and West.
Curriculum review in process
Instructional Services Supervisor Katherine Little, Ph.D., reported on the curricular areas that are under revision.
- School counseling is likely to be presented for adoption in March;
- Family and consumer sciences is expected to be completed by August;
- Elementary communication arts is on track to be completed by May;
- Elementary science will be completed in May; and
- Learning strategies curriculum, which underscores the need for strong literacy skills, will emphasize professional development.
Four students approved for early graduation
Hamilton High School Principal Candis Mongan presented the applications of four juniors who have applied to graduate a semester early next year. Colton Cook, Michael Maletz, Katherine Swick and Emily Wickeham met School Board policy requirements and will be eligible to graduate in January 2013.
Summer Opportunities planning underway
Lannon Principal and Summer Opportunities Coordinator Dick Ladd reported on plans for the upcoming summer school. The School Board previously approved 2012 Summer Opportunities dates. Enrichment courses are set for June 18 – July 13. Templeton Middle School promotional classes will begin June 18 and end July 27. Students will have a day off for the July 4 holiday.
High school credit recovery classes will be handled differently than in the past. The PASS and online programs will be replaced. Classroom teachers will be hired to provide face-to-face instruction in key content areas.
In personnel matters, the School Board:
- Accepted the retirement requests of Hamilton applied engineering and technology teacher Steven Campeau, Woodside writing technology teacher Julie Smith, Maple Avenue first grade teacher Jean Jackson, Templeton sixth grade teacher Erin Heikkila and Templeton special education paraprofessional Sally Hanney; and
- Appointed Janet Theis as Woodside second grade replacement teacher, Lisa Anderson as Marcy special education paraprofessional, James Hochevar as Hamilton mathematics replacement teacher and Kimberley Mittelstaedt as Marcy paraprofessional.