Parent meeting scheduled for incoming intermediate school families
It is an exciting time for families of current fourth- and fifth-graders who will be the first students to attend Silver Spring Intermediate School in the fall. Online registration for Silver Spring students begins Feb. 25. In anticipation of questions families may have before registration, parent and student meetings have been scheduled.
February 19 beginning at 6 p.m.
Hamilton Fine Arts Center
W220N6151 Town Line Rd., Sussex
Topics to be covered include:
- The house structure
- Report cards and grading
Following the presentation, parents will have the opportunity to submit questions online that will be answered in a FAQ sheet and emailed later to families.
In addition to the parent meeting, school staff have set up the following schedule to meet with fourth- and fifth-graders to answer their questions:
- Lannon – February 22 – 12:10 p.m.
- Maple – February 22 – 9:15 a.m.
- Marcy – February 20 – 9 a.m.
- Woodside – February 19 – 12:30 p.m.
More information including a Silver Spring School and Course Selection booklet and step-by-step registration instructions will be sent to families the week of Feb. 18.
School Board decides intermediate school day, course offerings
Details about course offerings and the school day for Silver Spring Intermediate School were decided at the Jan. 21 School Board meeting.
The new school schedule will be a cross between what students experience in elementary and middle school. The school day will be from approximately 8:20 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. – earlier than elementary schools, but later than the middle school. It will include a 33-minute advisement period when students can meet with teachers, access academic resources, receive interventions, complete homework and develop organizational skills.
Students will have two core 120-minute instructional blocks – one for English language arts and social studies, and the other for math and science. In addition, all students will take one allied arts course in the morning and one in the afternoon. Allied arts classes include fitness education, music, art, health and wellness, family and consumer science, and applied engineering and technology.
Silver Spring students will begin registering for classes Feb. 25. Students in grade 5 will choose between choir and band; in grade 6, general music will also be an option.
Ritchie chosen for Silver Spring associate principal
Katie Ritchie was selected the new associate principal for Silver Spring Intermediate School, a position which begins July 1.
Ritchie is a familiar face in the Hamilton School District. She joined the district in 2007 as a third grade teacher at Marcy Elementary School. In 2016, she was named part-time associate principal there.
With grade 5 students moving to the intermediate school next fall, enrollment at Marcy Elementary School will drop below 600 students, the point when a part-time associate principal is recommended. Two part-time elementary school associate principal positions in the district were consolidated and reallocated to Silver Spring Intermediate School which will require a full-time principal and associate principal.
Details about Silver Spring Intermediate School being decided
While community members can see Silver Spring Intermediate School construction progress in the videos below, less obvious but just as important is the work being done to create a new learning environment for students in grades 5 and 6. Following are key tasks for opening a new school that have been completed or are underway:
- School mascot – Panther was chosen to represent the school in a districtwide online parent survey, and a graphic image was created.
- Principal – The position has been posted with interviews expected in January and the principal announced by March. Feedback from a November parent survey will be used to create a candidate profile, formulate interview questions and select the new principal.
- Staffing – An initial staffing plan was created after teaching staff certified to teach grades 5 and 6 were able to express their interest in teaching at the new school. Affected teachers have been notified of staffing decisions. Support staff – including paraprofessionals, custodians and office assistants – have been asked their interest in working at the new school, and those who will transfer will be announced in the spring.
- Student offerings – Work on curriculum, grading and extracurricular activities are underway and will be presented for School Board approval in January.
- School day – Start and end times, bell and lunch schedules and important school dates will be finalized and announced in March.
- A parent information meeting is scheduled for Feb. 19 when parents will learn more details about how the school will operate, staffing and opportunities and services available to students.
- Work completed week of:
- Jan. 14, 2019
- Groundbreaking Ceremony
School name – Hamilton School Board approves the name of Silver Spring Intermediate School
Groundbreaking ceremony – May 1, 2018 at the site of Silver Spring Intermediate School, N58W22350 Silver Spring Dr.
Moody’s rating – District maintained strong Aa1, the highest rating it can achieve based on its size, which allowed the district to secure funding for referendum projects at a favorable interest rate.
Zoning & permits – All have been completed to allow construction to begin.
Silver Spring Intermediate School – construction begins first week of May. School opens to students in grades 5 and 6 in the fall of 2019.
Hamilton High School projects
- Front of school addition for classrooms and office relocations, and parking lot expansion – begins June of 2018, parking lot completion in fall of 2018, classroom addition occupied in spring of 2019
- Construction, fabrication, manufacturing and engineering addition-renovation – begins June of 2018, completion in fall of 2018
- Graphics lab renovation-expansion – begins in June of 2019, completion in fall of 2019