Elementary students in the Hamilton School District will celebrate Red Ribbon Week Oct. 23-31 with activities to honor Enrique Camarena, a drug enforcement agent who was killed in 1985 by drug traffickers. Each year, schools across the nation renew a commitment to a healthy, drug free lifestyle during Red Ribbon Week.
Lannon Elementary School
Contact: Lynda Pesch
Lannon Elementary School students will recognize Red Ribbon Week with health and wellness activities. Students in grades 3-5 will learn about nutrition, physical therapy and pilates with yoga, as well as meeting with the police liaison officer. Grades K-2 students will visit a dietician, dental hygienist and health education specialist. Students will rotate between stations set up in the school.
Lannon Elementary School is located at 7145 N. Lannon Road in Lannon.
Maple Avenue Elementary School
Contact: Colleen Casper
Maple Avenue fifth-graders are organizing a schoolwide “Let’s Can Drugs” food drive. Students are collecting non-perishable food items Oct. 16-25 to donate to the Sussex Food Pantry. Red Ribbon Week activities include the following spirit days:
Oct. 22 - Wear red for Movin’ Monday and be ready to move;
Oct. 23 – Tasty Tuesday with a healthy treat in the classroom;
Oct. 24 – Wild and Wacky Wednesday when students will show their spirit and wear their craziest outfit and hair-do; and
Oct. 25 – Stomp Out Drugs by wearing Harvest Day clothing - overalls, straw hat, bandanas, flannel.
Maple Avenue Elementary School is located at W240 N6059 Maple Avenue in Sussex.
Marcy Elementary School
Contact: Lori Schlapman
Marcy Elementary School will display banners with anti-drug messages throughout the building. Students and staff will show support Oct. 22 by wearing red clothing. Parents have been encouraged to talk to their children often about family values and the reasons they choose to live a healthy lifestyle.
Marcy Elementary School is located at W180 N4851 Marcy Road in Menomonee Falls.
Woodside Elementary School
Contact: Pam Bilodeau
At Woodside Elementary, a wide variety of activities is planned for students.
Oct. 22 –
- Daily theme – “Focus on being drug free”
- Students will focus on team work and good sportsmanship in fitness education class.
- Principal James Edmond will read the history of Red Ribbon Week.
- Pencils and suckers will be distributed.
Oct. 23 –
- Daily theme – “Don’t lose your focus”
- Students are invited to dress crazy.
Oct. 24 –
- Daily theme – “Focus on being proud to be drug free”
- Students invited to wear red, white and blue.
- Healthy snack and lunch day.
Oct. 25 –
- Daily theme – “Focus on being a drug free team”
- Each class invited to wear same color or spirit wear shirt
- Two winners for best teamwork, encouraging others and good sportsmanship in each grade will be announced. Winning classrooms will receive a kickball.
Woodside Elementary School is located at W236 N7465 Woodside Road in Sussex.