The Hamilton School Board is accepting applications from Lannon residents interested in filling the seat of member James Long. The deadline for application is July 14.
Long, who has served as the Lannon representative to the School Board member since 1990, is resigning his seat effective July 19. In a letter to the School Board, Long said serving on the board has been an honor and privilege.
“It has been a source of personal pride working with teachers, administrators, community members and fellow school board members to make significant progress over the years on behalf of children,” Long wrote.
The Hamilton School Board has seven seats representing five municipalities and two at-large posts. While district voters cast ballots for all the positions, candidates must live in the communities they represent. Candidates can live anywhere in the district to qualify for the at-large positions.
When a vacancy on the School Board occurs, the remaining members are responsible to appoint a qualified citizen to fill the position. The applicant appointed to the position must be a Lannon resident and will serve the remainder of Long’s term which ends in April, 2017.
At its June 29 special meeting, the School Board accepted a timeline outlining the process to fill the vacancy including:
- June 30 – July 14 – candidates may submit letter of application and complete Declaration of Eligibility to Hold Office as an Appointee;
- July 18 – Long’s final meeting as a School Board member;
- July 20 – School Board holds special meeting to interview and consider applicants;
- July 21 – School Board president informs applicant of board’s decision; and
- Aug. 15 – Appointed applicant takes oath of office at School Board meeting.
Lannon citizen interested in applying for the position should contact the Superintendent’s Office at (262) 246-1973 x1108.