Emergency school closings
A variety of circumstances may require district officials to close school, delay opening or call for an early dismissal. Families should prepare for those possibilities.
Television and radio
When schools close, it is important to avoid jamming school phone lines. Instead of calling the school, please check the following television or radio stations that will announce school delays or closings:
||WITI-TV Channel 6
||WISN-TV Channel 12
||WXFS KISS-FM 103.7
|WTMJ-TV Channel 4
||WDJT-TV Channel 58
Automated Calling System
As a supplement to radio and television notification, the Hamilton School District will implement an automated calling system to notify parents and staff members about emergency school closings and early dismissals.
The emergency contact system will be activated for school closings not only due to severe weather, but also for other emergencies, such as power outages.
Following are details about the calling operation:
- Calls likely will occur between 5:30 - 6:30 a.m. if school is cancelled or delayed.
- The system will call up to five different numbers you have provided, including your home, work and cell phone numbers.
- The technology is not able to dial extensions, advance through an automated attendant message system or call toll free numbers.
- If an answering machine picks up, the system will leave a message.
- The system will not contact people designated as emergency contacts such as grandparents or neighbors.
- Information will be posted on the district website home page when the calling system has been activated.
The safety and well-being of school children will always be the top priority in making a school closing decision.
Students in daycare
The district tries to make a timely decision so that parents can plan appropriate arrangements for daycare. To ensure that children have a safe place to be, parents should go over the plan with their children in advance.
Availability of bus drivers
Because bus drivers are part-time employees, it takes about two hours notice to retrieve school buses to dismiss school early.
When school is open, all students are expected to attend. However, individual circumstances vary and parents make the ultimate decision for the welfare of their children.